Afghanistan - the killing field and the graveyard for imperial hubris. Is victory just around the corner (after 15 years)? Is it a road to anywhere? Is it because Muslim lives don't count and those of soldiers who volunteered count very little?
lo yeeOn
2016-11-03 17:15:29 UTC
Hearts were either breaking or broken in Afghanistan

55-year old Afghan labourer Taza Gul: "I am heartbroken. I have lost
seven members of my family. I want to know, why these innocent
children were killed?

General John Nicholson said the soldiers' loss was "heartbreaking"

American soldiers' lives and a lot of innocent Afghan lives have
continued to be wasted this way. But for what?

That's the Afghanistan that George Bush and Barack Obama have
continued to insist on occupying!

lo yeeOn

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37857733

Thirty civilians have been killed in northern Afghanistan during an
Afghan special forces mission supported by Nato, an Afghan spokesman
says.

Provincial officials say many of the deaths were caused by Nato air
strikes.

The air support was called in after troops were surrounded by Taliban
militants, who took shelter in civilian homes, the spokesman said.

Nato says it will investigate reports of civilian deaths. Two US
soldiers were also killed in the fighting.

"US forces conducted strikes in Kunduz to defend friendly forces. All
civilian casualty claims will be investigated," the Nato-led Resolute
Support mission said.

Mahmood Danish, a spokesman for the governor of Kunduz province, told
the BBC the operation took place in an area called Body Kandahari,
about 5km (3 miles) from Kunduz city centre.

There were angry protests from civilians, who brought bodies of some
of the dead to the governor's office in Kunduz city.

Images showed the body of an infant girl being carried by a group of
civilians.

Taza Gul, a 55-year-old labourer, said: "I am heartbroken. I have lost
seven members of my family. I want to know, why these innocent
children were killed? Were they Taliban? No, they were innocent
children."

A further 25 civilians were wounded in the operation in Kunduz, Mr
Danish said, and 26 Taliban fighters were killed, including two
commanders. The Taliban say only three of their fighters were killed.
US soldiers killed

The US military said its soldiers died after coming under fire during
a mission to clear a Taliban position.

Two other US soldiers were wounded, it said. General John Nicholson
said the soldiers' loss was "heartbreaking".

Taliban fighters came close to overrunning Kunduz city last month and
the security situation in the area remains febrile. The insurgents
control large areas of the province around the city.

US combat operations against the Taliban officially ended in 2014 but
special forces have continued to provide support to Afghan troops.

Afghan forces have suffered thousands of casualties, with more than
5,500 killed in the first eight months of 2016.
TT
2016-11-04 12:34:40 UTC
Post by lo yeeOn
That's the Afghanistan that George Bush and Barack Obama have
continued to insist on occupying!
Did Russia run out of money?
--
"He did touch my vagina through my underwear"